I used multiple media technologies in the research, planning, construction and evaluation stages to help me achieve my final media production.
In the research stages I used Youtube to watch many music videos in the indie and acoustic music genre to help me understand the typical conventions of the genre, and gaining inspiration for my own music video. I then completed several research posts of existing music videos where I did a shot by shot analysis of each video, thinking again about conventions and ideas that i could use in my own production.
The task involved taking several screenshots of specific areas of the video that were significant or worth highlighting based on their importance to narrative, use of camera angles and performance aspects. I then used a pages document to import the screenshots and write up written analysis of each shot. I carried this out for every music video, commenting and analysing on what I thought was most significant and inspiring.
Within the planning stages of my music video, I created a ‘Target Audience Interview’ where I filmed six different people from my demographic, answering questions finding out more about the needs and wants of my target audience. This put the interviewees’ on the spot, and forced them to answer the questions truthfully and naturally. I also carried out some informal auditions so that I could decide on the artist for my video. After deciding on my specific actors and main artist, I created a shot list, deciding what would be shown in the music video for each lines of the song.
In the construction stage of my final music video I used a Nikon 1300d camera when filming and then imported my footage into Premiere Pro. To achieve the vhs effect on some of the videos, I downloaded the app Camcorder on my phone and then imported the footage to make the shots look older and then imply they happened in the past.
Premiere Pro was a crucial part in the construction of my final music video as it allowed me to edit all of my footage together and also so it was in time with the song. A feature I did use on premiere pro was that of interpreting the footage from 50 frames per second, in which it was filmed in, to 25 frames per second, to achieve effective slow mo within my video. I used this for some of the performance elements of my video, which meant that i had to film my singer singing at twice the speed. I downloaded the song I was using ‘Waking Up Slow’ off of Youtube and increased the speed to times two to achieve this. In terms of other equipment used, I also used a tripod to get steady shots during performance elements, although I felt the tripod was not always necessary.
As well as the construction of my actual music video, I also had to construct a digi-pack and website for my artist. To do this I photographed my artist on the same day as we filmed many performance elements of the music video, to show continuity and then I put the photos in Photoshop. Here I edited them accordingly and I also downloaded a font from 1001 fonts that I though was suitable for my artist and also fitted into the indie music video genre. As previously stated, I was inspired by Dua Lipa’s digipack to put the font behind my artists photo and so created a layer of the image of my artist and layered up the two images so the photo of my artist was now on top of the font. I also created a website on the free website maker Wix. Within my website, I have utilised a variety of social media platforms to advertise and promote my artist and her upcoming album. This proved to be extremely useful as it increased the awareness and image of my developing ‘artist’. Wix was essential in the creation of my own personalised website.
I uploaded all my progress to Vimeo, which was great for sharing my videos. In addition I presented all my research posts and progression of my advanced portfolio onto wordpress.com.
In conclusion, to create the evaluation questions I used quicktime screen recording to record my actions on the computer before uploading and editing them on Premier Pro.